Thursday, January 16, 2014

Portal to Pilgrimage

Morning moon setting in San Miguel

One week ago today, I boarded an airplane in Palm Springs, California, with an intention to arrive in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico.  This is all part of my Crone Pilgrimage and my intention to self intitiate into the part of my life that means I am no longer maiden or mother.  

Without sharing too many details that would involve what is known as TMI, or too much information, I can say that when I turned sixty in October, I found a certain restlessness begin to shake my soul.  I began an internal questioning, asking myself what it means to turn sixty.  As October neared the end of the month, I requested some quiet time for reflection in our household, so that I could have time for study and self reflection.  When that request could not be honored, I put my personal items in storage and set out on a quest or pilgrimage.  Some of my friends said that I ran away from home. 

A synchronistic series of events brought me to San Miguel, where I have time for reading, writing, artwork and self study.  One part of me would rather have me at my own home, where I could be in my own surroundings.  But there is nothing like leaving one's comfortable surroundings to explore both internal and external territories.  It is like becoming a map maker and exploring and marking new terrain.  

Last week, the moon was waxing, bringing richness to my intentions.  I came to realize that I am on my own Crone Pilgrimage. 
Morning moon set in San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico
This is not San Miguel.  The morning moon setting above the Jemez Mountains in New Mexico, USA.
Photo from January, 2013.

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful to honor and follow a calling. May you find what you are yearning for.
    xo

    ReplyDelete